Sunday, November 27, 2011

Record Shelves

One of the biggest problems for record collectors is shelving. Records are big and heavy. A standard bookshelf is rarely big enough and the shelving available at the big box stores are generally made from cheap particle board. This was a custom piece for Kirk Walther of Iowa City's 'Record Collector', is almost 6 feet long, and hold about 750 LPs. It is 100% furniture grade pine, on hidden casters (so it rolls). I make these in all woods and all sizes. As with everything I build that is for sale, they can be purchased at White Rabbit.

Next Shelf: A custom piece for photographer and friend Bill Adams.
 Bill sent me a photograph of the shelving he was currently using. It was from Ikea and although the overall design was good, like all Ikea furniture, it is cheap particle board and contact paper. He decided to have a version built that looked the same, with a few choice modifications, made of real wood, and WAY overbuilt. Like all my shelving, it will be on casters, so it will roll.
 For both a design choice and a lot of added strength, it is compartmentalized. This piece is 60 inches wide, and about 34 inches tall, and roughly 16 inches deep. Casters and all hardware hidden, as always.
This is where it is at after day one. Still needs a little more sanding, and the back put on it. It also is going to get the standard triple hand waxing. I am pretty excited about this piece so far. I might have to build myself one.
Today I put the back on it, and have been linseed waxing it. Still needs casters, and another coat of wax, then it is out of here.
This is where I am currently at with another custom record shelf. I really like the compartments people are going for. It takes longer, but looks cooler, I think.
The buyer chose to stain this piece 'gunstock'. I normally do not go for stain, but he could not afford to build this out of a dark wood, and considering it is a stain, I dig it. It has several coats of linseed on it now too. After they are dry, I can have my full drum room back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment